Forest School is an inspirational process, that offers ALL learners opportunities to achieve and develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in a woodland or natural environment with trees.
SJM Forest School is a specialised learning approach delivered by Forest School specialists, Discover Outdoors. This sits within and compliments the wider context of outdoor and woodland education. Our Discover Outdoors specialists work with SJM teachers to deliver Forest school skills around class topics so each class have the opportunity to experience the wonders of Forest School.
These sessions develop many outdoor skills such as den making, fire making, handling tools and equipment safely and also character building skills such as team bonding, leadership, resilience and reflection.
Our EYFS Forest School is led by Mrs Higham who is also Level 3 Forest School practitioner. This happens every Wednesday, ‘Welly Wednesday’ come rain or shine!
- Forest School Principles
- -Forest school ..
- -takes place in woodland or natural environment to support the development of a relationship between the learner and the natural world.
- - uses a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for being, development and learning.
- -aims to promote the holistic development of all those involved, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners.
- -offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves.
- -is run by qualified Forest School practitioners (Discover Outdoors and Mrs Higham (EYFS) who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice.